Changes for TravGen version 6.5
- Optional Skill Capping. If the "Cap Skill at 6" option is
switched on, the notification message now allows the user to override the decision and
allow the skill to go above 6. This is mainly for use with the don't split cascades
option, where a cascade skill can legitimately have more than 6 points recorded ready for
the player to split out when he gets the character.
- True 2D Stat Generation. An option on the Options screen allows the
user to generate character stats by rolling 2d6, rather than the standard of roll 3d6 and
take the best two.
- Dolphins! As detailed in the excellent Travellers' Digest
number 13, and inspired by David Brin's Uplift series, TravGen can now produce
Dolphin characters. I have added them as a Solomani-based race rather than an Imperial
one, because that's what they are, though the article doesn't quote rules for them as such
and they're not mentioned in DGP's Solomani and Aslan. DOLPHINS.ERI, DOL*.SCH and
DOL*.EAI files are new.
- Restart with this character. Paul B asked for this one; if you rolled a
really good set of numbers on the first screen, and the subsequent career of that
character was total pants, you can click this option either at the term end screen or the
post-muster screen, and flip back to the moment before you committed him to his career.
- SolSec Special Assignments. SolSec characters
would get "Specials not defined for career type" errors. This has been fixed.
- Schools file failures. Scouts and Police schools
are stored in seperate data files; if the data in the branch file indicated a non-existent
school, the program would crash. This has been patched (sort of) in that if the school
can't be found, the character gets a normal skill roll instead.
Changes for TravGen version 6.4
Hoo boy. Here's what I get for saying "nothing" last time. Thanks to the
people who spotted some spanking bugs this time.
- Command for officers. The number required throw
to designate Command or Staff for military characters was not loading from the EAI file,
resulting in all officers being in command all the time. This is now fixed.
- TL-based DMs on Service and Branch Skill Tables horked
up. These weren't being applied, fixed.
- Military Officers allowed both Staff and Command skill
tables. Basically, the program checked to see if the tables were allowed
because of rank and set a "yes" flag, then reset it to "yes" if they
were allowed because of Staff or Command entries in the year's history. This is now fixed;
only if the officer serves Staff or Command will the tables appear.
- SolSec Assignments missing: The number of
assignments in SOLSEC.EAI for some branches was wrong, resulting in no assignments being
loaded. This is fixed. NB SolSec still hasn't got any Special Assignment coding, sorry,
this will be addressed.
Changes for TravGen version 6.3
- Imperial Ministry of Justice. An enhanced Imperial Police career,
written up at Freelance Traveller (http://www.freelancetraveller.com) and coded to TravGen by Tony Moran
(mailbag at ayahuasca.net) - thanks Tony! Mainly a data change but the
specials required some code changes so the .EXE has changed as well.
Changes for TravGen version 6.2
- Rank Capping failures. The Rank Cap feature was only checking for
"violations" when the character was promoted normally; so things like OCS and
Naval Attache would push the rank higher unless the character was promoted again
afterwards. The program now checks after every assignment.
- Rank Cap selection option. When the check box is selected, the lowest
rank avaiulable for the service loaded is automatically selected as a suggestion. If no
service and branch have been selected, a message warns the user, and the check box is
- Skill Array Increased. When TravGen was first written, it seemed to me
that no-one would be likely to create characters with more than about 20 different skills.
So the number of skills it can handle was pegged at 25. I was wrong! Version 6.2 and up
will support up to 55 seperate skill names for each character.
Changes for TravGen version 6.1
- Psionic Training was giving the skills Teleport instead
of Teleportation and Telempathy instead of Telepathy,
resulting in "two" skills when the latter values came up in the career tables.
This is fixed.
- Data folder location. Previous versions were very shaky when it came to
correctly locating their DATA folders so as to create TRAVGEN.INI. This has been improved
with a file open dialog which invites the user to confirm where they put the DATA files.
- Solomani Police generation was causing crashes because it was trying to
assign Schools for which there were no files. This is fixed, new version of SCOPS.EAI.
- Inconsistent warning of death.Characters "dying of old age"
were sometimes not warned of their demise at the right point. The warning has been moved
to take place immediately after aging rather than at the start of Year 1 of the next term.
- Imperial Psionic Researchers and Psionic Institute Researchers
were getting Purple Hearts. Tweaked versions of IPSIRES.EAI and IPSIRESI.EAI.
- Imperial Marines and Marine careers based on their data file, rank
E3 was incorrectly listed as Sergeant; it has been changed to Corporal. Changed
IMARINE.EAI, DMARINE.EAI and XMARINE.EAI. (I can't believe no-one noticed this one!)
Changes for TravGen version 5.8
- Careers with less than 20 ranks now get +1 on material muster rolls if Basic Rank is 5
Changes for TravGen version 5.7
- Homeworld codes generated and added to the save file.
- New Option checkbox to "cap" skills at 6; results leading to skills of 7+ are
re-rolled. Option is on by default!
- Now supports override values for psionic skill chances; add a PsiRolls entry to the ERI
List in order, Telempathy, Clairvoyance, Telekinesis, Awareness, Teleport and Special. Use
Hex numbers for values over 9.
- HTM output colours modified to make page more legible when printed.
- Zhodani SORAG career now properly implemented; updated ZSORAG.EAI. Special assignments
and Security Clearances are catered for as per the module.
- Option Sets allows you to save the current settings on the Options checkbox screen, plus
the current Preferred Skills settings. You can then reload these with one click.
- Options are now accessible from the "Select Skill Table" Screen, so you can
change them mid-term rather than just at the end of a term.
- Imperial Human characters can now select a variable amount of Vilani blood, and get a
relevant DM to the aging rolls, allowing the generation of Vilani characters of
- "Assignment not matched" errors because of trailing space on assignment name
(eg in SolSec) fixed.
- Crashes if more than 15 terms served have been fixed, although 26 terms will still cause
- Clumsy home-grown save file select dialog screen replaced by proper Windows one - long
filenames now available.
- SPECIAL assignments fixed or added where necessary for Droyne Navy, Aslan Explorer, Sol
- Zho characters can't endlessly select Psionic Training at the Academic Options step.
- Crashes on converted "basic" careers caused by (invisible) invalid promotions
happening each year.
- "Cascade failure: VICE" errors with Imperial Nobles fixed (new INOBLE.EAI
- Merchant exams were all the same (doh!) a coding error in the branch loading routine,
that's now fixed.
- The "force academic success" cheat option, which has never worked except for
Naval Academy, now works. It applies to Psionic training as well!
- Non-functional Race List Entry for I'Sred*Ni removed; simply delete ISREDNI.ERI (only)
from the DATA folder.
- Aslan get odd results if the cascade SPACE is rolled (new ASLANM.ERI and ASLANF.ERI).
- "Allow Any Transfer" cheat option now allows any branch to be selected at any
stage of generation.
- "Scrap and restart" after Transfer earned (eg Commando) doesn't leave the
- Warning message about character dying of old age only comes up once a term; doesn't
happen until a stat drops to -1, rather than 0.
- Crash ("Run-time error '400' Form already displayed; can't show modally") when
re-selecting a skill that's been rejected for being greater than 6, when running without
Automatic Generation enabled, fixed.
- Droyne Sport Military skill error "Zero G Comabat" fixed (new DSMIL.EAI)
- Erronous choice of "Hunting" for ANIMAL HANDLING cascade altered to
- Aslan Female Military Security "Assignment not matched" errors on Ship's
Troops removed; they shouldn't get Ship's Troops!
- Droyne Leader Navy Command; mustering out could roll a "benifit" of
"Material benefits: Max=6". This is fixed (new DLNAVY.EAI)
- Aslan female Journalists now have access to the Tolerance skill (new AFJOURN.EAI)
- Hiver Scientists were getting Satisfaction every year, they now have to roll for it!
- Some careers were getting "Electronic" instead of/as well as
"Electronics", which was being treated as a seperate skill. (New DCOAFCPD.EAI,
DCOAFCSD.EAI, DNAVY.EAI, ZVNAVY.EAI, HNAVY.EAI, INAVY.EAI, SNAVY.EAI, VNAVY.EAI,
XNAVY.EAI, ZNAVY.EAI, IENTERT.EAI, ZVCOAFCS.EAI, NCOAFCSD.EAI, ICOAFCPD.EAI, ICOAFCSD.EAI,
NCOACFPD.EAI, SCOAFCPD.EAI, SCOAFCSD.EAI, VCOAFCPD.EAI, VCOAFCSD.EAI, XCOAFCPD.EAI,
XCOAFCSD.EAI, ZCOAFCPD.EAI, ZCOAFCSD.EAI, ZVCOAFCP.EAI, ZSORAG.EAI.)
- Hiver Merchants and Free Traders were getting Brawling and Blade Combat skills (new
HIVER.ERI, HFREETR.EAI, HMERCH.EAI).
- Scientist characters couldn't go through the Graduate School pre-enlistment option; this
- Aging routines tidied up for I'Sred*Ni, Virushi and Newts.
- Newts now can't roll Str or End of -1 or -2 and crash the program.
Many thanks to David Smart for some pretty thorough Beta Testing!